Friday, October 4, 2013

Future Projects Friday: Small Clutches


Kids, you have done it again- you have made it to Friday! TGIF, am.i.right?!? Today, I wanted to build off of last week's link round-up on purse tutorials to show you some amazing tutorials for making zippered clutches or wristlets, the bite-sized sisters of the purse. I love clutches and wristlets- when you just need a place to store your credit card, license and phone to run out somewhere, they are the perfect accessory.

1. Bow Clutch from Elm Street Life:

[ photo credit: Elm Street Life ]

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this tutorial. I have made at least five of these clutches and given them all as gifts. Had I seen this tutorial when I was making gifts for my bridesmaids three years ago, I would have made this. The clutch is just large enough to hold your cell phone, keys and some money- perfect for a night out on the town.

[ clutch that I made for my sister ]

[ my lovely friend and science sister Jess, modeling her b-day clutch. You can find Jess here ]

 [ clutch in construction ]

For the fabric selection for this clutch, I would advise that you pick a nice, sturdy fabric for the outer fabric and use something with minimal print. As you can see in my first example above, while I love the clutch I made for my sister, the bold print that I chose distracts from the sweet bow on the clutch. Using a more subdued fabric allows the bow to 'pop' on the front of the clutch.

2. Pleated Pouch from A Lemon Squeezy Home:

[ photo credit: A Lemon Squeezy Home ]

I am in love with the design and fabric choice of this little zip clutch. Sometimes, for me, the fabric makes or breaks the piece. The fabric chosen for this clutch is lovely, modern and in my favorite color scheme of gray and yellow-what's not to like? This tutorial includes pattern pieces (YAY!) and a very detailed step-by-step on how to assemble it. This would make a lovely gift for someone, maybe stuffed with lip gloss, nail polish etc.

3. Another take on a Pleated Pouch from Needle and Spatula:

[ photo credit: Needle and Spatula ]
There are many flavors of pleated pouches.. Here is another take on pleats, this time vertical.  This isn't quite as large as the other clutches in this post, but would still be a fun thing to have. In this tutorial, she includes a different and easier way to put in a zipper.

4. Mini Clutch from Our Busy Little Bunch:

[ photo credit: Our Busy Little Bunch ]
These little mini clutches are adorable. They look like they are quite sturdy as the tutorial calls for both lining and batting, which appear to give it extra structure. I love the idea of the elastic loop and button closure- I could spend hours in the button aisle at JoAnn's. I have a tupperware container of buttons waiting for a home in my sewing room right now.

Have a great weekend and happy sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment