Friday, September 13, 2013

Future Projects Friday: Oven mitts and dish towels

Oh man you guys- guess what- it's Friday!! WOOHOOO! And you know what that means, right? It's 'Future Projects Friday' where I show some of the projects I have found on Pinterest that I am interested in trying in the future.

This week's theme has to do with things for your kitchen! With fall just around the corner and Thanksgiving in the not-so-distant future, I am gearing up for using yummy fall ingredients and setting my crockpot up to make nice hearty meals to keep us warm.

Confession: I have actually made 3 of the 4 things selected for today's post. But- I am absolutely in love with each of them and wanted to feature them here for those of you who also like to sew! Additionally, I plan on making a few kitchen-themed gift baskets for Christmas this year (it's less than 4 months away!) so I will be making more again shortly.

1. These Fluorescent tea towels from Brit & Co are number one on my list to make!
[ photo credit: http://www.brit.co/neon-tea-towels/ ]

I love their simplicity and that you can do any design you would like. I scored this 4-pack of white flour sack dish towels for $4 at Target and purchased gray, teal and coral thread from JoAnn's. Can't wait to try this!

[ photo credit: http://gingercake.typepad.com/gingercake/2012/09/easy-oven-mitt-by-trish.html ]
I made this oven mitt last year to include as part of a kitchen-themed wedding gift for friends of ours from grad school. The pattern and tutorial are super-easy to follow and it comes out great.

3. An Oven Hand Mitt from The Idea Room:
This is a different take on an oven mitt and I like it! I feel you can never have enough for some reason so I actually made one of these for myself a while back.
 [ oven mitt in action! ]

[ oven mitt close up ]

I found this project easy as well, though I did have to consult this tutorial for how to use double-fold bias tape, which is different than quilt binding. Be sure to buy the special 'Insul-brite' batting for both this mitt and the one above.

4. Hanging Dish Towels from The Creamer Chronicles:
I have made a few several of these hanging dish towels. I find it both cute and practical. I have given these as house-warming gifts, parts of Christmas presents etc. My sister initially pinned this on Pinterest and I LOVE them. She was the recipient of the first few that I made. I have even made some for our kitchen. I have also made a modified version that can hang on a knob rather than the oven handle so that I could have one closer to the kitchen sink.
 [ hanging dishtowels on our oven ]
 [ modified towel that I made that hangs from the cabinet knob under our sink ]
I highly recommend these as they are both practical and pretty! And, you can make them to match your kitchen or make ones that are seasonally appropriate!

Hope these projects have 'pin-spired' you as much as they have me! Happy Friday!



No comments:

Post a Comment